
picture from flickr
It’s a shame that I didn’t manage to join the march from the very beginning as I had appointment with doctor, I was suppose to be at work but thank for the appointment I had myself half day off, and manage to join the ending of the protesting at Trafalgar Square.
Didn’t realize that I unconsciously have avoided getting yellow clothing until the protesting day, when I need a yellow shirt on, not any other saturations of yellow but a cheerful big bright yellow, that’s the kind I should have and the kind I want. The only yellowish cloth I have got is not all that yellow at all, but orangey yellow cardigan and knitted jumper, there’s another option of the safety vests I wore when I cycling at night. The weather is nice and warm so I don’t need jumper, and putting on the safety vest might get myself some attentions which might make me nervous, I ended up putting that yellow cardigan (given by my friend before she left England) in my bag.
After seeing doctor and got on an overground train to depart to city centre, I called Jin and Kath to see where to meet up the march, but what they suggested is just to wait at Malaysian Tourism centre which is right opposite of Trafalgar Square. I arrived there earlier, I decided to trace the routes of the walk, with my instinct, I stood in front of the map very indecisive since there is too many possibilities of the routes, they might pass through Green Park or The Strand I decided but they ended up walked through the Houses of Parliament which is near Big Ben. Again I felt so stupid that I never think of that route, which happened to be the most possible one.
When I decided to go back to the tourism centre, I saw the long yellow march from afar, I was glad that I decided to turn back. I took a few pictures of the march, feeling very proud and impress. It’s more like a celebration of the unity of people, standing for the same believes in power of people and fair in election, than a protesting. It is so cheerful with people wearing happy bright yellow shirts carrying yellow balloons, singing songs of Bersih altogether, shouting slogans in high spirit.
I joined the march and we all gathered in front of the National Gallery, which is a hot spot for all kinds of protesting from all over the world. We continued singing and shouting slogan altogether, had a pleasant public chat, and to finish off, we wrote our message on a stickies to be stick on balloons, then released them to the sky. A lot of tourists was taking pictures from the roofless double-decker bus while it passed by, I could imagine a very good view from the bus, of we yellow protesting people with National Gallery as background. I took pictures of tourists taking pictures of us.
Thanks to the leaders who makes so much efforts, it's been very nice to see so many Malaysians gathered together in a foreign city for what is right and justice for our homeland.
It’s a festival of united people of all races for fair and clean politics. Yes, festival, with some somehow dangerous exciment. I have never felt this proud of being a Malaysian before. Love you! (When I think about being detained, inevitable thinking of the violence of Malaysian police, how cruel they could be, sometimes just for their entertainment obviously; and then I think about Aung San Suu Kyi and Gandhi, these people gives you strength if you are in unnecessary trouble with Malaysian police).
No comments:
Post a Comment